St. Bartholemew’s – Kinneigh

Kinneigh (Cionn Eich) in the townland of Sleenoge. Co. Cork

Pictures

St Bartholomew’s Church, Kinneigh, is on the site of an ancient medieval monastery with a history on the site that stretches back to early Celtic times. Now its Round Tower is the only visible remains. The tower is the only one in Ireland to stand on a hexagonal base. This tower dates from around 1014 AD The present church building was completed in 1856. A quiet act of evening Prayer was held on Sunday 27th August – the actual date of consecration. An evening of celebration of the 150 years of St Bartholomew’s was held on 8th October.

More history and links